First things First

One would think - let me just get PR then life would be easy. No, my dear - the real struggle starts just after achieving that goal. You might already have read/heard about this - but you would really feel it (or already feeling it), when you are here. Things like - Shall I resign from job, and leave for Australia? or Shall I search job sitting offshore and move to Australia once I crack a job? or How's the current job market there? How's the recruiters there like? What's Australian dollar rate? Which state would be good for my skills related job? And these are the questions/concerns just related to job - but when you think about it, you are uprooting yourself from one ground where you are settled in every shape and form; and then putting yourself in a different country's soil and hoping it will suite you and you'll nourish there! 

Well - am not scaring you; but just a reality check that generally dawn on us only when you are at the brink of it; am even not saying that it's a bad thing to do - just that it would be better if you are mentally prepared for all of it from start so that when the time comes - you are not overwhelmed by thinking everything all at once.

Now, at this stage I was already ready to drop the bomb on my manager that I am resigning as I thought 'earlier the better' as after August job market is generally not that good. But, I was made to come in senses; my brother (already in Australia) convinced me to land in June-start saying that market does not pick up until mid to late June and prior to that would be sufficient to make contacts with recruiters etc. I did plan as my brother asked but if that suited me or not, we will see.

This is just the first thing that happened, my experiences will continue from next post. Please subscribe if you want to be notified when I post a new blog post.

Previous: Life after getting Australian PR

12 comments:

  1. You are amazing. It feels like that u entered in my brain and seen what I was thinking. Precisely these were what I was thinking or worrying about. Keep us all informed at all the time about your new earnings of infos. Thanks will be passing by here every now n then while I am awaiting to be assigned a case officer as I have already filed for my visa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    We too have recently got our PR and are planning to move to Australia in June. Can you please suggest which city would be best suited to us in terms of job availability.Both, me & my husband are telecom professionals. We do not have any friends in Australia so we have to totally depend on the information available online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rac03,
      See each city has its favorite industry. I would suggest try out seek.com for like a week or two to see which city you see more opportunities for your own profession.
      If you find matching results then its good as you can pick which city you like better personally.
      Let me know what you decide upon.
      Best of luck.

      Delete
  3. Appreciate your prompt reply. Thanks. Which city though has an affordable cost of living in terms of new migrants ? Also, can you pls suggest which month would be best for moving there ? We were planning mid June. Thanks again for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rac03,
      No worries. Every city is kind of costly here. Perth I heard is costlier than Melbourne/Sydney. But if your occupation is more in demand in a city - even if its costly, one might consider going there only. Rest its personal preference.
      June seems like good time, but mind you each year is different than previous.
      Best of luck!

      Delete
  4. First of all , read your entire blog and nice to hear the same story as ours.
    I see you havent updated how long did u take to settle in Australia with a decent job ?

    We too have got the PR and have planned to make a first retry for Visa stamping in Feb end, Pls give us the recruiters contact information/links , whom to contact etc.. Myself and my hubby both are into IT industry. Your reply would be of gr8 help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anonymous :)
      Visa stamping - its not needed now!
      I will be adding in details to this.. just finding some time and sorting things out :)

      Delete
  5. hi admin,

    i recently got PR (subclass 190), I have state sponsorship (NSW)

    seeking your guidance on:

    1. travel documents on first entry (apart from a valid passport, grant letter)
    2. In subclass 190, can main applicant/ spouse stay back for one year in INDIA after the first entry in Australia?
    3. As per the grant letter the visa conditions are NIL for spouse. So can the spouse make first entry without the main applicant(my wife)?
    Keep up the good work......:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deepak,
    1. That's all that you need.
    2. Yeah.. After first entry your visa Is active, hence you cab enter leave Australia as you like for the time visa is valid. But keep in mind conditions to get the resident returning visa or citizenship while doing that.
    3. Yeah. After you got visa, both applicants are same if not stated otherwise in visa itself.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. This confirms I'm not the only one with so many questions post-PR. ;)

    I would like to know whether searching job from India is a sensible idea? Do Australian recruiters consider profiles with valid PR but still not arrived in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi,
    even we are trying to apply for jobs from India but the responses we are getting is..."we will consider your resume once you are available here, in Australia"...
    so i guess, searching for a job from India is not worth it... but you can still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete