Preparing to Prepare

First thing that I was told in terms of preparation was to gather clothes for winter, because it was Feb-end - the time when winter are (almost) gone in India and they were about to start in Melbourne,
Australia - so I was already out of time to get to shopping for those. I, obviously, could not have
left this shopping to be done in Oz due to cost factor (believe me, difference is good enough). Here I
started making list and shopping in parallel; I have to ask shopkeepers/sales-person to show me the
winters stuff if they have it but not put out on display due to no demand - that worked sometimes,
other times I was given a weird look ;-p

When I was done tackling, collecting and pondering over clothes, next thing was to list out all other
things that are needed to get you going for at least an year (all stuff, excluding groceries and
toiletries off course). Yes - I made lists because that's something everyone should do when planning
for such a big move, otherwise you will miss out some teeny tiny thing which is really important but
you do not have it - why? - because you did not consider 'list' to be a good idea. Anyways, so list it
out and start ticking things when you have acquired it, basic stuff. Also, it’s better to make a list on your smartphone - everybody seem to be having one these days. You can jot down the moment you realise any additional item is needed, really helps.

After a bit of shopping, another thing that's to be considered - lit up like a led light. 'Weight' of these things that I wanted to pack and take. As I did not have any high ranked relatives working in any flight lines, I and wifey would be allowed to carry at max 40 kg each.

Previous: First things first

6 comments:

  1. I have a question... What happens on the first day when u arrive in Australia. You go to your hotel and start living out of the hotel which might cause a dent in finances or is there some low cost arrangement to start living and searching for a job. Is 10000 usd enough to land in australia with family or it sounds like joke.... What 10k hahaha u must be kidding..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chef,

      Generally people get their accommodation done before coming through online booking sites or friends/families. Trend is either get crash in on someone like friend/family or cheap hotels or you may also find places to stay through sites like gumtree.com.au, then you can go ahead and search for proper rent place.
      For money - it depends on person to person as standard of living differs. Average person should survive a month with 2K AUD nicely. Then it would depend on how much time it takes to get a job to take into account how many months one will be just spending and not earning - one should have 5-6 months backup I guess.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. You are great help.

      Delete
    3. My pleasure chef. Keep me posted on your updates.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Mate. Nice blog.

    Would you be comfortable sharing your prep list (minus your personal items)? That would be helpful to many readers planning to move soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have just received my visa 189 on the 7th of March 2014. I have been reading your blog and I am really thankful to you, I immediately applied for PCC and medical after submitting the visa application, even before the CO asked for it. I was advised by my consultant to wait till the CO asked for it.
    After submitting my documents, I was granted my visa immediately.

    Now, the 'getting the job' is the difficult part. I have been trying on Aust.job portals, but most of it is turning negative. Being a Civil Engineer, I do see alot of jobs that do match my experience.

    How would you advise me to take it forward??

    ReplyDelete